View Single Post
Old October 2, 2014, 10:23 AM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Edit: My wondering would apply to the .357 and .44 magnum DE, as well - how do THEY solve the rimmed-case-in-a-straight-mag dilemma?
Actually, they solve it quite well. But, first off, lets get one thing "straight". The magazines are not "straight". NO ONE's pistol mags are straight up and down, they all lean "forward" a bit. The longer the case, compared to diameter, the more pronounced the "lean". Rimmed cases, with their need for the rims to be stacked upper round rim in front of lower round rim have more "lean" than rimless cases. Look at a .22LR pistol mag, for an example.

The Desert Eagle mags work pretty well, they are solidly built, and they have a deep "rib" pressed into the mag body on each side. This feature keeps lower rounds in the magazine from being able to move enough to "jump" rims and rimlock the magazine.

Other makers use a different approach. The Desert Eagle mag works well, BUT you must use it in the manner intended. It needs to "float" in the gun, meaning, do not put pressure on the magazine base when shooting. (no "cup & saucer" type hold). IF you cup the bottom of the mag when shooting, misfeeds will usually result. If you don't, (usually) they feed fine.

There are always exceptions, so I say "usually", but I've had 3 different DE's in the past 30 some years, 2 .357 and a .44, and they all worked exactly the same way in this regard.

I also have a Coonan Model A (one of the original 1500 produced), and while I have not shot it extensively, it has worked well for me.

Page generated in 0.03239 seconds with 8 queries