View Single Post
Old June 21, 2008, 11:53 PM   #3
Anthony

Why a USP Expert?

Many reasons, but I prefer a full size (i.e., duty size) pistol for concealed carry for a number of reasons including a longer sight radius, higher reliability, more usable accuracy in my hands, and superior handling qualities. Most of my CCW background is carrying highly customized versions of the larger Smith & Wesson revolvers with 4-inch barrels. I've carried the 1911 on and off for sometime, but wanted something I could run a more steady diet of +P ammunition through. The USP has a manual safety which is important to me from a weapon retention standpoint. Further, unlike the single action Colt, it can be safely left in a ready condition with its hammer down on a loaded chamber in double action mode with its safety engaged in situations where a cocked and locked position is less than desireable (e.g., anytime the gun is not in a rigid holster).

To a lesser extent when I travel and stay in someone else's home it is often advantageous not to have to rack the slide of a travel pistol to avoid "spooking the horses" as they say. They 1911 requires this more than any other pistol when safety moving from the safety of Condition Three on the nightstand to Condition One for active carry.

Also, I strongly prefer to have the surgical accuracy the USP Expert delivers on tap in case of a medium to long range engagement. This is quite possible in the flat lands of North Texas where I live and the aforementioned flat shooting +P ammo helps make such shots that much easier.

Lastly, I just love the way the gun looks, feels, etc.

- Anthony

Page generated in 0.03268 seconds with 8 queries