View Single Post
Old November 21, 2013, 08:15 AM   #67
wogpotter

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that someone would shoot another person's target...
Maybe not intentionally, but I've seen targets (some mine) with 3 different sized holes in them!

Let me tell you a tale of a public range. If you lived on Long Island you might recognize the description.

It had “professional” staff that did things like insisting an AR-7 (which does not have BHO feature) have the bolt held open during a cease-fire. One of the RO’s insisted it be done no matter what & dropped the bolt on a live .22rf round, inserted base first into the ejection port sideways & rim in, which fired. Luckily no one was hurt.

They had no less than 4 “firing safety zones” identified by different colored stripes on the concrete. Each colored zone had its own audible & visual warning system.
Zone 1 (green stripe) was “arriving & waiting” a green flashing light & a bell that rang.
Zone 2 (yellow stripe) was uncasing & clearing. It had a yellow steady light & a loud buzzer.
Zone 3 (blue stripe) waiting red & blue alternating lights with a klaxon horn (with an uncased & racked bolt open rifle) for a firing point to open in zone 4, the actual firing line that had a siren & a strobe light.

To get to the range’s firing line you went through each of the zones, doing the functions that zone was set up for when its light & sound system went off. Each zones timing was independent of all the others so it was total chaos. Zone 1 might be “open” but so might zone 2 so you could go from 1 to 3 (as long as you did each function as you went by). Zone 1 & 3 might be open, but zone 2 closed so you couldn’t go by.

They eventually had the (inevitable) range accident & a boy scout who wasn’t even at the range was accidentally shot & died..

The range is closed permanently now.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”

Last edited by wogpotter; November 21, 2013 at 04:12 PM.

Page generated in 0.02378 seconds with 8 queries