View Single Post
Old August 11, 2012, 11:05 AM   #6
Creeper

Quote:
not tryin to steal thread but CREEPER it is amazing how many on forums say vice versa is true--FL sizing making brass last longer and better accuracy. I do not have alot of reloading experience or competition shooting so I can not say one way or the other.
Hi browninghunter86...

Think of it in these terms. You take a "new" case... say .308 as an example. SAAMI minimum spec for a case length at the datum is 1.627". Maximum chamber spec is 1.640". That's a potential .013" stretch from case head to center of the shoulder.
Squeeze it down, now fire form it out, now squeeze it down... repeat as often as necessary for incipient case head separation.

No one I know of, in 20 years of benchrest competition, used a production FL resizing die in a competition rifle... except for those that used custom FL dies, cut to match a once fired case in a custom chamber.
Not saying that some rifles aren't more accurate using FL resizing... just saying that for people who's goal is to reuse the cases they worked long and hard on, making each case identical in weight and dimension to the tenth of a grain and .0005" or less dimensionally for an entire season of competition, and to shoot all bullets into, literally, the same hole... FL dies are not used except in the previously mentioned conditions.

Certainly, you use FL dies with a semi-automatic rifle, and certainly you use FL dies with hunting rifles... but there is absolutely no need to use them in a recreational or target bolt action rifle... unless you have one of those rare rifles that somehow prefers FL sized ammunition, laying there in the bottom of the chamber, rather than ammunition perfectly sized and completely concentric to the chamber as one can make it.

Is my position arguable? Most certainly... but preferably from an objective and broadly sampled view rather than from anecdotal evidence.
Could I be wrong? Certainly... anyone is invited to prove me so. I am more than willing to listen to what someone has to say.

browninghunter86, please... do not take my word for it. All I ask of you is to research the information available to you, provided by people with known reputations. Competition shooters, experienced professional gun writers/experimenters/handloaders, custom die makers and even production die makers.

Cheers,
C

Last edited by Creeper; August 11, 2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: A small wording tweak... OCD is like that ya' know

Page generated in 0.02535 seconds with 8 queries