View Single Post
Old July 24, 2013, 04:54 PM   #8
Bill Akins

Yep Hawg, I've read about those kinds of mods to the latch spring of the Walker. But as is clear at that link, you have to get an Uberti Walker latch spring, modify it to fit if a non Uberti Walker. And it is kind of tricky getting the slope of that "b" area he mentions filed to be just right so it grabs securely but doesn't grab so tight that it prevents the lever from purposely being lowered.
And even if one is successful in doing that and it works, eventually that leaf spring latch is doomed to weaken and then you are back to square one. That's why Colt came out with the more secure loading lever latch on his dragoons. They are pretty much goof proof and aren't going to fail. And if they do, it is an easy matter to drift out the little pin that holds the moving part of the latch and the coil spring in place, and remove the coil spring (if weakened) and replace it with a new coil spring. But the likelihood of that coil spring on the dragoon's loading lever latch ever failing or weakening, is slight. So to me, the dragoon coil spring latch is still more sure than modifying the existing Walker leaf spring latch.

Plus I think it would be a relatively easy and fun mod to do with a Walker by just filing a dovetail for the latch catch, using a dragoon latch catch, and using a dragoon loading lever.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Page generated in 0.04037 seconds with 8 queries