View Single Post
Old November 24, 2012, 02:47 PM   #103
Rainbow Demon

Quote:
How common is casehead failure in a pistol cartridge anyway, assuming it's a new factory round? While I realize that it is possible to blow up a handgun, all the ones on display that were blown up are made of steel--but the ammunition probably wasn't factory ammo.
Blown caseheads have been far too common with .40 S&W ammo, especially Federal factory .40 thats been subject of factory recalls due to casehead ruptures.

The phenomena of casehead rupture is almost always due to lack of support due to a too deeply cut feed ramp that intrudes into the chamber.

While the 1911 shares this particular design defect the .45 ACP with its much lower operating pressure is far less likely to have a casehead failure so long as ammunition that meets original specs is used.

The too deep feed ramp cut is a known factor in case head ruptures, yet Glock chose to repeat that design defect in the name of more reliable feeding.
I've read of aftermarket barrels that have ramps that don't intrude into the chamber wall. I expect that Glock will do something similar if they haven't already done so.

A blown up Glock plastic frame is a total loss. A steel framed pistol is more likely to be repairable.
As for injury to the hand, I've seen nothing on that aspect. The majority of the force of a rupture is expended in blowing out the magazine, a not uncommon factor in similar centerfire rifle casehead ruptures where the magazine floorplate or detachable magazine is blown out.

PS
Just checked my S&W 59, as I'd remembered the only openings in the magazine well are those for the magazine catch and the slots for the trigger bars. Its unlikely that a casehead rupture would even damage the plastic grips.

Last edited by Rainbow Demon; November 24, 2012 at 02:56 PM.

Page generated in 0.03443 seconds with 8 queries