View Single Post
Old June 29, 2014, 10:41 AM   #5
mardanlin

I'll try to answer your questions one at a time the best I can.

* strategies for stalking and locating the critters
Locating high traffic areas for deer isn't that hard, assuming you have a healthy deer population. Just check for tracks that look like two almonds next to each other. You can also look for scrapes and rubs. Rubs are when bark is removed on the lower regions of a tree due to a buck rubbing his antlers against the tree. The bigger the tree they rub, the bigger the deer. Scrapes can be a little harder to spot, but if you know what you're looking for I'm sure you'll find several. Look for areas on the ground where the leaves have been kicked around and it looks like something has been scratching at the ground. More often than not, bucks will urinate in these scrapes so putting another buck's urine in a scrape is a good way to bring in an alpha-male who's looking for a fight.

Next, you'll need to decide whether you will be stalking, driving, or waiting patiently in a tree stand/blind (assuming all of these are legal where you're located). Stalking deer or hunting on the move is quite difficult. You have to be very careful about where, when, and how often you step. Driving deer isn't quite as challenging in terms of spotting deer, but you'll have to perform well under pressure and be able to pull off quick shots. Shotguns are usually favored for deer drives for this reason. I like to sit in a stand/blind overlooking a high traffic trail, but to each his own.

* shot placement

Any shot to the vitals will do, but you have to make an ethical decision about which vitals you're going for. I've seen kill shots in the neck, head, and shoulder. However, a headshot can be VERY risky because you could end up shooting a deer's nose off and do nothing more than maim them for life. I only take shots at the heart/lungs behind the front shoulder and that's what most ethical hunters will suggest as well. If you're going for this vital spot, aim about 8 inches high of where the front leg meets the body. You can find exactly where the vitals are located with a quick google search, though.

* discussion of various shooting positions when hunting

In most cases you'll just be throwing your rifle up and taking whatever position you can manage because you don't get much time to set up your shot. I've never taken too much consideration for how I hold my rifle or what position I'm in, just aim, steady yourself, and take the shot. When I'm hunting from the ground I'm usually sitting, but I have taken prone and standing shots with no issues. Again, just practice shooting laying down, sitting down, and standing up. See which ones you feel most comfortable with and go from there. If you can't consistently put your shot inside of a 3" circle with whatever position you're shooting from, I wouldn't suggest hunting from that position for fear of inaccuracy affecting your killshot.

* discussion of hunting-specific shooting techniques (and how they differ from target shooting)

I grew up target shooting since I was about 6 years old. I didn't start hunting until my early teens and honestly I think that being comfortable punching paper helped me with the confidence I needed to pull off a good hunting shot. As far as positions, I think they're all the same. If you can hit a piece of paper in the right spot, you can hit a deer in the right spot. It is a little more challenging finding the "bullseye" when you don't have a grid showing you where it is, so make sure you're very familiar with where the vital spot is on an animal. I know several people I grew up with who are terrible target shooters and in turn are terrible hunters. There is no excuse for this! You should not be out in the woods aiming your rifle at an animal when you're not comfortable hitting bullseyes on a paper target. Period. Get to where a 3" group makes you feel disappointed in your shooting and you're probably ready to hunt. If you're ecstatic to see a 3" group when you're target shooting, you're not ready to hunt. I'm sorry if that offends anyone but it's true.

* skinning/processing the meat after the critter is down

This is something you'll need videos to explain. Try going to YouTube and searching for videos on how to field dress, skin, and harvest meat from a deer (or whatever animal you're interested in hunting). With the case of deer, it is most common to field dress the animal while you're still in the field, hence the term "field dressing". Field dressing consists of removing the entrails (intestines, stomach, bladder, etc.) but leaving the skin/fur on the animal. When you get home, that's when you'll remove the skin and harvest the meat. There are a million and one ways to get your meat off the deer, so again, just watch some videos and find one that works for you.

* cooking tips

Never over-cook! Most wild animals are lean (with the exception of bear and a few others) so your meat is already going to be tougher than beef or other fatty meats like pork. Marinating is your friend, especially when you get the infamous "gamey" tasting deer. Keep in mind that deer will taste more gamey during the rut (mating season, especially in males) and when they're adrenaline gets pumped up. If a deer has been shot at already that day, he's probably going to be on guard. Similarly, deer that are taken in deer drives or that run for a long distance before dying will taste more gamey as well. Just some things to keep in mind when you're thinking about bullet/caliber selection.

* dangers associated with eating wild animal meat

This is going to be regional thing. Of course we've all heard of the dreaded "blue-tongue" but you'll need to see which diseases are common in your area and find the symptoms so that you know what to look for when you're harvesting a deer. If you see any signs of tainted meat, do not eat it! It's better to waste a tag and throw the meat to the coyotes/foxes/blackbirds than end up in the hospital or worse. I wouldn't try to over-cook the meat to get rid of contaminants because then you'll still end up with meat that's inedible because it's got the texture of a steel-toed boot.

----------------------------------------------------------

I hope this information has been helpful and good luck on your hunting endeavors! If you're successful be sure to post a picture. And just remember, doe meat is almost always better than buck meat so if you're hunting for meat, I'd suggest going for them and not worry about waiting to see a big buck walk out because there's a good chance that he won't and you've just missed your chance to take a nice doe. If you're simply trophy hunting, be prepared to have many disappointing hunts. In the case that you do bag a super buck, just remember, it's probably a once in a lifetime event and you shouldn't expect those results again or you'll come out of the woods ****** off every time. My suggestion, don't be afraid to shoot at big-bodied does and you'll most likely have a good season with a freezer full of meat.

Page generated in 0.03011 seconds with 8 queries