View Single Post
Old January 30, 2013, 03:42 AM   #8
mellow_c

Glock 23 all the way!

I'll try not to get too wrapped up in this. So I'll just give you my opinion and let that be that.
I've shot a couple glock 40's One was a full sized, the other was a sub compact. I did not like either of them. The full sized (granted I was less experienced at the time) seamed to put the hurt on my trigger finger... while the sub compact (g27, many years later) had enough snap that I would have to regain my grip with my support hand after almost every shot. Admittedly I was using a "somewhat" relaxed grip because I was going for accuracy, but I still had a good solid hold on both of them, just not a "choke hold"

Both of them were Gen 3 glocks.

In my experience the Glock 19 (compact) had the best spacing for my fingers to get the best and most consistent hold. In comparison I have not shot the Glock 23, but I think it would be the most manageable 40 for that reason.

I've got a glock 26 (sub compact 9mm) and I can basically shoot it just as well as any other 9mm glock. With the 40 sub compact, thats just not the case. Let me explain. I shot my buddies glock 27, and at 15 yards I was taking my time and holding a nice tight group. I could see he was impressed, I was shooting better than him with his own gun. However, he still lets anticipation of recoil ruin his shots (a life long project) So yes, I could shoot it well. BUT there was so much snap that I could never shoot it with the speed and consistency of my 26, simply because I dont have that extra finger backing up my grip.

I happen to know a VERY experienced shooter who has a Glock 27, and he said he was going for the 26 instead. I also know of a police officer who had his Glock 27 for sale.... I'm speculating, but maybe he decided it was more than he could handle.

I think if I were to get a glock in 40 it would be the 23 for 2 reasons.

It would be a good range and concealment gun because of it's smaller than full sized size, but full hand grip. AND because I could use it for .357 SIG by ONLY changing the barrel! The .357 SIG case is the same at it's base as a 40, and because of that, you can use the same extractor and magazine as the 40... you only need to change the barrel. You can even use the same spring.

So to wrap it up. A Glock 23 with an extra .357 SIG barrel would be my only choice if I were to get into a Glock 40

And of course, here is a hickok45 video expressing some of the same points.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4NeS0ezWMA

Hmmm.... I guess I need to go buy a G23

Last edited by mellow_c; January 30, 2013 at 04:01 AM.

Page generated in 0.03836 seconds with 8 queries