View Single Post
Old July 1, 2000, 12:26 PM   #16
Rusty S

Got a 39-2 I shouldn't like. Doesn't fit my hands right, doesn't fit my philosophies, and so on. The only thing it does right is hit everything I shoot at better than any other handgun I have - fast. We're talking Master's level with regular practice.

But when I'm righteously ( as opposed to having a hinky feeling ) concerned, I reach for my 4" barreled fixed sight model 58 41's, all three of them. I shoot them with moderate ( i.e. 3/4 power ) defense loads at expert level with occasional practice. I shoot them expert with full charge loads with regular practice.

PS: finally made up my mind and bought the "always" 380 - a 1955 Browning in single action with grip and thumb safety like the 1911. Guess that means either getting a couple of 10/71's ( the post '68 longer barrelled target sighted 380 ) smithed to my satisfaction or learning how to conceal my Browning Practical.

It finally ocurred to me this morning my original question starting this thread was rooted in the old service revolver/CC or backup revolver wisdom of having your service and backup weapons as similar in function as possible. If you wore a S&W mod 10 for duty, you got a chief or 2" model 12 ( 12 was the lightweight k frame )for off duty, and if you wore an Official Police on duty, you carried a Detective Special or Cobra. Idea was they both worked the same way so training carried over to both and you could reflexively do what was needed with the guns when your attention should be focused at least mostly on the tactical situation. The idea still seems valid. Interesting discussion. Thank you all.

PS - gives my signature line a different meaning now you know I'm talking pocket pistols and Hi-Powers ( not to take away anything from Dieudonne Saive for his role in HiPower development ).

------------------
John Moses designed it, I trust it, and that settles it.

Page generated in 0.03943 seconds with 8 queries