View Single Post
Old August 29, 2013, 10:34 PM   #34
AF FAL

Stumbled on this post looking for dealers that are actually sticking to the $10 rule. You see, these laws only affect those inclined to follow the law. While I don't agree with the law, I am inclined to follow the law, and this one I am following just to prove in my own mind how much of a miserable failure it really is.

That said, I have done a FTF sale with the required BGC since the law went into effect. It is near impossible to find a dealer that will touch these transfers, let alone stick to the $10(transfer fee) + $10(BGC) pricing set forth in the law. I did manage to find one, they tried saying it was $25 over the phone, however when I pointed out their website stating it was $10 they accepted the $10, then immediately changed the website to say $25, thus violating the law anyway.

I also contacted the CBI on how exactly this is supposed to happen, as I was concerned about having to pay another BGC fee if the buyer was denied. The CBI officer said the FFL does not enter the firearm in their book until they have received an approval for the transfer, so the firearm never really leaves your possession until the BGC is approved and the FFL must enter it in their log. The dealer I used for my transaction seemed to understand this process just fine, and had independently verified it with CBI. Yes, the dealer must still include the serial # of the intended transfer on the 4473 during the paperwork process, but this does not constitute a transfer according the the AG.

Having worked for more than one FFL and done entries in the log, and conducted multiple BGC I find it odd that any FFL would say it isn't worth their time. Heck, before the law went into effect I was getting $10 transfers anyway from a few dealers, now it isn't worth their time? The whole process on the part of the FFL takes roughly 3 or 4 minutes of ACTUAL work. Extrapolated out, that is still $150 an hour at the $10 mandated fee cap.

Now is a time when we need MORE gun owners in our ranks. And no matter what the anti's do to try to impede that from happening, we as the gun community need to do whatever it takes to make our numbers grow. Sure the law is stupid, couldn't agree more that it will serve no purpose other than to hamper the law abiding while falling flat on it's "advertised" purpose of affecting criminals in any way. But how many would be first time lawful gun owners trying to go about this the legal way will miss out because we as the gun community succumbed to the anti's tactics, and whine "it isn't worth our time"? Maybe we need to think of the big picture rather than whine about the brush strokes until we can get the law repealed.

Just my $.02 worth

Last edited by Tom Servo; August 30, 2013 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Language issues

Page generated in 0.03713 seconds with 8 queries