Thread: WY Mule Deer
View Single Post
Old October 24, 2011, 10:17 AM   #1
longranger

WY Mule Deer

I had been Antelope hunting here in Wyoming,opening day offrered no shot on Antelope.Walked back to my truck while putting my gear away,I had my binoculars around my neck and noticed a small set of hills about 1 mile away.I pick up my binoculars and have look at the hills and see 2 large bodied Mule deer making their way up to a point of rocks.It is warm so I leave my jacket and shoulder my day pack and start walking.I get about 1/4 mile form the small hills and 25 Antelope are standing 400 yards away,I don't get a shot but I forget about the deer and continue Antelope hunting.2 Days later I get my Antelope in the same area.With the Antelope tag filled I decide to walk back up to the hills I had started to hunt days earlier.
I get up to the hills and learn there's a series of bigger hills behind the small hills.I sit in a saddle and start glassing and spot 2 bucks feeding in a small draw they are working towards me,I make a plan to intercept them.The plan works so well I meet the biggest buck @ 10 paces face to face on a game trail.My scope is always turned down to the lowest power.I pick my rifle up and can't find the deer in the scope, to close ! He spooks and then there are 7 bucks running over the hill we were on.I back out and wait 2 more days and go back in at day break.I use a different route into the hills this time.Very quietly I poke around for a couple of hours and find a decent bedded Whitetail about 200 yds. across a ravine.I watch him for while thinking I might shoot him and be done ! I had decided I wanted a Mule deer this year so I passed on him.Walked another 1/2 mile and spot 3 Mule deer bucks coming up a draw below me,wind shifts and they get my scent and move quickly away,up the opposite hillside, stop and looking my direction I notice the biggest of the 3 is the one I met on the trail 2 days earlier.
257 yds away standing broad side,I give him a 180gr Nosler Partition just behind his shoulder from my Rem.700 .308.He is my best Mule Deer in 25 years.

Page generated in 0.04084 seconds with 8 queries