View Single Post
Old April 18, 2010, 12:22 PM   #6
LeMat1856

hi and welcome to the world of black powder.

i'll recommend two items, both are books, that can be had from ebay or alibris or amazon used for a fraction of new ones:

1) "the complete blackpowder handbook" by sam fadala (accept no substitutes)

-50 or so chapters with lots and lots of pictures, short easy to read paragraphs, and written by a 'hands on' author in a user-friendly, relaxed style.

2) "percussion pistols and revolvers: history, performance, and practical use" by johnny bates and mike cumpston

-26 chapters with lots of pictures covering caplock pistols, revolvers, and their development, actual test results from the authors comparing original black powder vs. substitutes in a variety of calibers and loads, how to disassemble and reassemble these firearms, and even 'the irish code' of proper etiquette for dueling in the 1800's (just in case you might need it).

there are others like lymans blackpowder handbook (2nd edition) but these two should answer just about anything and everything you will need for starters.. i got them just after purchasing my first revolver and, without exaggeration, the pages are wearing thin from use.

hope that helps,

~d~

Page generated in 0.02215 seconds with 8 queries