View Single Post
Old August 3, 2008, 02:02 PM   #76
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
People I know(the few I know that carry puny anyway) carry puny because they will not carry bigger from laziness. Better to have any gun than no gun. The difference is they know that they are not as well armed as with a larger caliber weapon. They understand that their choice to carry puny might come back to bit them on the rump.
...and carrying a bigger gun with a more powerful cartridge can just as well do the same....

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that folks can't conceal many of the mid sized handguns offered in heavier calibers. I believe they opt to carry smaller form laziness and to some extent from being encouraged by the bold talk on TFL. Some folks simply can't handle bigger or can't conceal bigger because of forced attire and those folks have no choice. The rest are IMO walking contradictions.
The bottom line is that you don't know what's best for the other person. Only that person knows. All you can do is base your opinion on observation. One is extremely arrogant in thinking just because a 6' 2" 230lb. male is perfectly capable carrying a full size Glock chambered in 10mm. The mental acuteness in a defensive situation cannot be judged by anyone exept ones self. With that, the effectiveness of using a gun comes into play in a big way.

I'd rather have a firearm that I'm extremely comfortable using in any situation that I can imagine in a gun fight even if it's a .380 rather than compromising and settling for a .45ACP. I would tend to believe the effective use of a gun and your brain FAR outweighs the cartridge you have.

Quote:
You tout history and probabilities and I will point out what calibers every profession that might face an armed foe will not carry as primary. You push statistics and I will point out ballistics. You suggest folks carry what is convenient and I will suggest they carry what gives them the better chance of surviving.
What's your definition of "profession"? Not very many citizens make their profession in firearms use. Ballistics are a bit down the line in consideration of what gun/cartridge choice to use. Your opinion of what's involved to have a better chance of surviving is different than others. Just because it doesn't match your criteria doesn't make it fact.

Quote:
There is a segment on TFL who believe that there is little or no difference, in terms of self preservation with a firearm, between a mouse gun 22/25 and heavier calibers 38 and up. They tout statistics that show most criminals flee at the mere sight of a gun or after a few rounds are fired even if none of the rounds would have forced incapacitation. I just worry that this statistical shell game, by very reputable members, is going to steer folks who would have carried bigger to carry smaller. Then when that already rare event does happen in its most rare form ( a criminal who needs to be put down forcefully by gun fire) they don't have enough gun.
I actually do believe statistics can back up the claim that "brandishing" a firearm has deterred more crimes from being committed than actual use of a firearm.

I don't necessarily advocate to carry the smallest cartridge available. However, I also think a handgun is a ****-poor excuse of a tool for self defense. I do think carrying one (or two) is a great idea. But, my personal belief is just about any common cartridge that the general public can effectively use isn't a good 1st line of defense.

But, what do I know? I'm just a slack-jawed yokel that likes XD's over Glocks. That right there should lose all credibility in your eyes...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Page generated in 0.03601 seconds with 8 queries