View Single Post
Old June 6, 2005, 02:24 AM   #11
Sturm

Well, I'm glad you asked. My shooting partner and I get access to our range at night and while I too saw the article in Handguns, I usually prefer to rely on my own experience since it seems I was already loading with this in mind before Handguns decided that it was even a worthy topic. Seems they don't even bother much with reloading at all lately ( I wouldn't know since I haven't bothered reading it for several years) and with some of the past reloading editors they've had, that may be just as well. When I test loads for flash, it is confined to defense pistols because I don't hunt at night and the only reason I shoot at targets at this point is to gauge flash and my ability to ventilate man size silhouettes in very low light and nightime conditions. You know, like the kind of conditions where a high flash powder might totally screw up your night vision? I have tested powders appropriate (those that will develop the highest velocities) for the use and some not so appropriate like PP and Blue Dot that will get you velocity, but at the expense of very high flash. Powders I have tried for this along with the two previous mentioned ones would be AA#5 (9mm, 38 Sp. +P, .357 Mag and short mag. .40 S&W and .45 ACP), #7 (.38 Sp. +P, 9mm +P and .357 SM, Magnum and .45ACP), #9 (.357 SM, Magnum, .40 with 165 gr. Golden Sabers) HS-6 in all of the calibers, 3N37 in all of the calibers and ditto for SP-2 except that I haven't used it in .45 ACP. Which is the least tested of the group and the phenomenon you guys are referring to is pretty much a .45 ACP event with HS-6. In 9mm +P it is a very low flasher and may actually perform best at high pressure. Last time I tested with loads of similar +P velocity in 9mm, Hs-6 was actually slightly less than 3N37. Since AA#5 is an excellent .45 ACP +P powder, that is what I use along with #7 for +P occasionally. #5 has very low flash as does #7, but #7 runs out of room quicker and won't achieve velocities in the .45 ACP that #5 will. I haven't tried Silhouette for this yet, because it is based on the same chemistry as HS-6, but with flash inhibitors added that will probably make it an even lower flash powder. Maybe a good choice for the .45, or factory equivelent .40, but it will not reach the velocities obtainable with HS-6, 3N37, AA#7 or SP-2, in the 9mm +P, or the .357 Magnum, or my short version. None of these powders require flash inhibitors and WAP/Silhouette has a faster pressure peak that limits it's potential for the 9mm, .357 Magnum and Short Magnum.

Recalling the article I believe they stated that the difference between #5, 3N37 was minimal and I don't remember SP-2 being used at all, but I'll take your word for it. I found SP-2 in 9mm +P and .40 to be the very lowest flasher and #5 and 3N37 pretty close to each other in 9mm +P and .40. I don't use #5 for the .357 Magnum or Short version and again SP-2 has a very slight edge over 3N37, but 3N37 is a good choice in all of these cartridges as is #7 with the exception of .40 S&W and it's compression before max velocity potential is reached in .45 ACP. With 3N37, flash is so low that it should be the yardstick, since Vectan SP-2 is unavailable until Nobelsport sets up their own distribution. Funny, but I don't remember you extolling the virtues of 3N37 for this purpose when I started reading your threads. I am happy that you find it satisfactory, just the same. So, why would you even recommend PP to someone that may not have the ability to test at night and there weren't any disclaimers about flash when you made the recommendation. HS-6, #5, #7, 3N37 and of course SP-2 if you can find it, are all much better choices.

HSmith, I would expect you to agree with WS2 since you also made a recommendation for PP.

Just because it's said doesn't make it true.... That is correct and sometimes I feel that this is the case with everyone's oppinions but your own, some of which I find so full of holes that they appear to be Swiss Cheese! Let me list some of my particular favorites. My apologies in advance for not quoting you absolutely verbatim.
1. Pressure Peaks in the cylinder of a revolver. You remember that one I know and I wonder if you still believe that to be the case.
2. Stating that a magnum defense load was sold to a customer for use in a 4" revolver, loaded with H-110. Let's hope he doesn't find out how bad a choice that was, The Hard Way. Since obviously, he doesn't know any better, you should by now with the vast amount of experience you propose to have.
3. Recommending PP, for high pressure defense cartridges, that now you are crawfishin' on, and stating it does flash, but flash is overemphasized. What is really overemphasized is the number of posts one guy can put up and still find the time to do extensive testing. If you have posted over 6000 times on who knows how many forums ( I know of 2 at least and suspect that there are several others). I think it is possible that this is actually the source of your database since you have surely read more threads than you have posted on. I know I have and my time is pretty much confined to TFL.
4. I remember on one occasion that you tried to contradict my statement that Silhouette was formerly WAP sold by Winchester, even though I mentioned that Ramshot uses WAP data that had already been developed by Winchester. What you didn't know while you were disputing, was that I had gotten the information directly from Ramshot. This from a guy that has used so much WAP that the cases were used to make furniture. Remember that one.

And by all means, continue. And if you see me make a comment that doesn't hold water, Call me out on it. I will most certainly do the same when peoples lives are at risk. Of course, I will try to pry an intelligent reason for a contradiction if it was done for any reason other than insecurity about someone encroaching your supposed bailiwick and I have seen you do this enough times that I would suggest you seek counseling.

Page generated in 0.03657 seconds with 8 queries