View Single Post
Old September 6, 1999, 01:32 PM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'd suggest hanging out some at a gunstore, and looking at whatever magazine selection they have. Some cater to varminting.

Also, there are often other folks hanging around who are quite well experienced, and commonly are happy to teach, preach, and brag. The storeowner usually knows the real guys from the wannabes.

Don't know what kind of calls are used up there, but if hand-held callers are used, you can buy one and practice on your or your neighbor's dog/cat.

If you can be at all persuasive to Wiley Coyote, your .223's accuracy will be fine, 'cause he'll be inside of 100 yards rather quickly.

Coyotes typically come toward the sound, and circle around to downwind as they get closer. You have to keep that in mind when you set up. Calling from a vehicle is easier, if that's allowed. (I've had them circle the truck, 10 yards out, barking and bitching, "Where's my danged rabbit, you SOB? You promised me supper!")

A .22 rimfire is okay on ground squirrels and prairie dogs if the gun is inherently accurate, and you can learn to stalk toward a "town". They may all duck into their dens, but you practice imitating a log or rock and they'll eventually show back up...

And mountain lion is very, very tasty.

Regards, Art

Page generated in 0.02578 seconds with 8 queries