View Single Post
Old February 18, 2012, 12:03 PM   #17
musher

I'd agree with folks above. 308 is just fine for any sort of non-exotic animal you're likely to encounter down there. Just don't take a prone shot in the grass with that short barrel!

A large entrance wound is symptomatic of too much velocity or a bullet that's coming apart shortly after impact. Hitting bone just under the skin will do it. My experience with the corelokts on Moose is that sometimes they will exit and sometimes not. Depends entirely on what kind of structures they encounter on the way through. I have seen through and throughs on moose at 200+ yards with the 150 corelokt though.

I've had very good terminal performance from the nosler partitions, though their accuracy has been so-so for me. I've only ever retrieved one nosler and that was from a caribou shot front to back lengthwise including about 4" of neck vertebrae. Though I don't keep written records, my sense is that the meat damage from these bullets is lower than with the corelokts.

If you want the exit wound, I'd switch to a premium bonded or partition type load and see how it works.

Page generated in 0.02218 seconds with 8 queries