View Single Post
Old October 30, 2010, 09:00 AM   #14
10 Spot Terminator

OKAY,,,

Not sure if you are ready for this one but here goes anyway. I had been mulling over the problem of powder positioning in cases with very small powder charges for years. It started after reading an article 15 years or so back where a long time match shooter stated for best results with his low charge loads he would before firing each round, point his muzzle skyward and gently shake his pistol then ever so slowly lower the muzzle to point of aim and fire for most consistant performance. To me this wasnt saying there was a solution rather than telling me there was a problem. I started dabbling with ideas what to stuff into the cases that would hold the powder level and pressed securely against the bottom of the case and not harm me or the gun. I knew I wanted something that would burn quickly and hopefully before it hit the barrel . I looked into flash paper but found it to be highly unstable capable of ignition under minor every day situations which might set the rounds off on their own. Not so good , didnt go there. I then started checking different types of paper that I might cut some wads out of but when found those that burned the quickest they were too soft and lofty to make wads out of or to get into the cases straight so I pretty much gave up on the idea of making wads. Then one day day while on domestic KP I was pulling towels out of the drier and when I cleaned that fluffy sheet of poof from the lint screen it hit me. Cotton ! The wonder fabric ! Well I dropped the towels, grabbed a book of matches and a table spoon, pulled off a piece of that lint, touced a match to it and "WHOOF" it was gone and this little tiny ball of ash about the size of a piece of #2 shot floated into the air. Tired of writing , you figure out the rest ,,,

10SPOT

Page generated in 0.02496 seconds with 8 queries