View Single Post
Old June 28, 2000, 11:50 AM   #12
jthuang

TaxPhD,

We had a special situation -- in our squad was a father/son team. Son was about 11-14 years old, by my guess. The son was too small to handle his father's 12 gauge shotgun (that was the tricked out 1100) so he shot the shotgun stages using his handgun (a .38 Super Open class racegun).

On two occasions, he was unable to get his handgun to fire. I don't know exactly what happened, I just saw a lot of fiddling with the handgun -- ending with him bagging his gun and giving up on the stage. He got to reshoot those stages.

No one in our squad objected to giving him reshoots. I concurred with these decisions -- no need to discourage such a young shooter, especially in a day and age where we need as many young people as we can get. I just thought it unfortunate that his equipment did not work correctly.

In any case, strict USPSA rules were not followed at the match anyway. For example, the kid's father, with the tricked-out 1100 which malfed a few times, also got a reshoot.

Father's gun was an Open class 1911 in some sort of speed holster. On one stage where you had to run over to a rack (your rifle was sitting on the rack) after shooting several targets with your handgun. The handgun was holstered and unloaded at that point.

He ran over to the rack and grabbed his rifle. Rifle tapped holstered handgun. Handgun fell onto the ground. Fortunately, handgun was unloaded and did not break the 180 even when it fell. Stage was immediately stopped -- I was scorer so I got a good view.

To my knowledge, if a handgun falls out of a competitor's holster during the course of fire, that's a match DQ. From the USPSA website, I see:

Rule 10.3: A match disqualification shall be issued for any of the following infractions:

Rule 10.3.5: If at any time during the course of fire, or while loading or unloading, a competitor drops his handgun or causes it to fall, loaded or not, except as follows:

Rule 10.3.5.1: During a holster test in a course of fire before the handgun has been loaded.

Also, US Rule 10.1.4.10 says: If at any time during the course of fire, a competitor drops their handgun or causes it to fall loaded or not, the penalty is a Match Disqualification.

But the chief RO said otherwise and so he got to reshoot the stage.

Note: I didn't care about them getting reshoots. My buddies and I rarely shoot IPSC, we only do the three gun matches -- and we always use carry/duty gear and guns. We also pie corners, use cover, etc -- so we know we're not taking home any trophies, we just go for the experience.

Sorry to digress off the topic.

Justin

[This message has been edited by jthuang (edited June 28, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.03375 seconds with 8 queries