View Single Post
Old March 8, 2012, 01:51 PM   #13
ckpj99

Just wanted to post an update on this. I slathered the gun down with Hoppes lube (not solvent). I started with a rag, and it did pick up a little of the rust, but wasn't making a visible difference. I then moved to bronze wool, same result, slightly better. I then moved to lightly rubbing with steel wool. I used a lot of lube.

It cleaned up a little. There's still a bit of rust, but at this point I can't tell the difference between rust and what appears to be some really dark finish (bluing or something). I assume this gun was not shiny when it was made.

The engraving is not damaged, but it's really not any more visible than it was before.

I'm interested in learning what this gun cost when it was made, and maybe finding a picture of the facility (which is know is pretty unlikely). Maybe just an early picture of London Bridge, as I assume the revolver was produced near there?

I've decided to give it back to my brother on his birthday in April. I'm going to get a case with glass on two sides. I'll divot out a place for the butt to sit, use a dowel to support the barrel, and another dowel to rise up and somehow grip one of the cylinder bores.

And advice on long term storage. I store my guns with a light coat of hoppes lube, but is there something better to use on this old piece?

And lastly, I also forgot to ask early on what caliber this gun is. Is it a .50, a .44, a .40?

Page generated in 0.03414 seconds with 8 queries