View Single Post
Old September 29, 2007, 08:20 PM   #15
CarbineCaleb

Quote:
The conventional wisdom says that men will begin to lose muscle mass after the age of 35
I do believe that is correct - without citing any formal medical studies, I know that competitive weightlifters last longer than other Olympic athletes, but not past their mid-30s.

This doesn't mean you can't be strong in later years. It does mean that your ultimate potential is lower, and if you are doing optimal nutrition and training at 25, you should see higher capabilities than you will at 50 doing the same things. But certainly the slacker/casual athlete at 25 can surpass that fitness decades later with dedicated exercise. The pessimist will look at these things and say - "Why bother, I am past my peak", while the optimist will say "Who cares? Better to be in fine shape at 50 than a wreck at 50".

While it's an old story, new research actually continues to show further benefits, such as improved mood, cognitive function, memory and learning - and that is at any age - results of improved circulation and neurogenesis. For those 40 and over, these benefits can slow the decline in mental function which is also a part of aging - just another side of the same coin.

Page generated in 0.03650 seconds with 8 queries