Thread: Clean new 1911?
View Single Post
Old October 31, 2013, 03:21 PM   #26
WVsig

Quote:
I don't think anybody's saying that it is bad practice.
The point of contention I guess is:"is it necessary?".It makes you feel better,
gives you a better picture of what you just bought,you just plain like doing it.
Ok no problem,it's your piece but I still don't buy the necessity of doing it.
And not to belabor the issue but firearms were not designed to put the shooter's health on the line,it was something else that was meant to be there.
Am I wrong?
Yes you are wrong. The grease that is used to pack a new firearm is not used because of its lubricating qualities it is used prevent rusting during long term storage because the manufacturer has no idea when it will be sold.

These oils can and do cause malfunctions if they are not removed before firing. Would you shoot a surplus gun covered in cosmoline? If it is cold out the gun will cease up. At normal operating temps cosmoline will leak out all over the place.

Modern preservatives are not that extreme but they have a tendency to heat up trap dirt, powder and debris which will cause action problems. They are not formulated to lubricate at higher temps seen under shooting conditions. It is always a good practice to clean and inspect your new gun prior to shooting. This does not mean if you don't you will see a malfunction but you will increase your odds if you leave the packing oil/grease on the new gun. IMHO Clearly YMMV

Last edited by WVsig; October 31, 2013 at 03:28 PM.

Page generated in 0.03411 seconds with 8 queries