View Single Post
Old November 21, 2012, 09:52 AM   #1
hAkron

10% of my 357 sig rounds fail the setback test

When I load 357 sig I resize first with a .40 die, then with a Lee 357 sig die. I expand just enough to not damage the bullets as I seat them. I seat with a Redding Competition seating die, then I crimp using the Lee FCD, which does a rifle style collet crimp (this isn't true of lee's other handgun caliber FCD's that I'm aware of). I use HS-6 or Bluedot. My charges are not heavy enough to fill the case. I have been using the Berry's 124gr HP bullets because they have a nice long shank on them. When the rounds are completed, I press them into the front of my bench with my thumb and if the bullet moves, the round fails QC and goes into a pile to be torn down and disposed of.

So there is my process. About 10% fail the setback test. I'm not completely sure if the issue is a size variation in the bullets (I love Berry's bullets, but the 124gr HP are not my favorite). Or if some of my 'once fired' brass is just spent and won't hold neck tension any longer (I don't keep track of times fired), or if I'm just pushing too hard on my set back test (I just did 200 yesterday and my thumb hurts still today). Also, I know that hotter loads where the powder more completely fills the case will help mitigate setback, but I don't need super power loads for range work.

I plan to try some different non-nickel plated brass (I got 1300 nickel once fired for super cheap), and maybe go with a different bullet (but it needs to be economical like Berry's). I'm also going to get a bathroom type scale to push against so that my setback tests can be more consistent.

I don't really have a question, just sharing my experience with loading this tricky cartridge.

Page generated in 0.03466 seconds with 8 queries