View Single Post
Old October 9, 2013, 01:01 PM   #2
lcpiper

Yea, I don't think the law allows for that DeJa Vu.

It is my understanding that once you make the weapon into a Short Barrled Rifle, you also must "stamp" it with a new serial number and something else but I forget what that is, name perhaps. In essence you are creating a new weapon with a new serial number and that weapon is now classified and registered as a SBR. You are not simply applying for a permit to operate a pistol as a shortened rifle, You are applying to create a new rifle.

These questions from the BATF's website will shed light on future modifications to the rifle.

Quote:
Q: If I remove the short barrel from the registered SBR or SBS, is the receiver still subject to NFA transfer and possession regulations?

If the possessor retains control over the barrel or other parts required to assemble the SBR or SBS, the firearm would still be subject to NFA transfer and possession regulations. ATF recommends contacting State law enforcement officials to ensure compliance with state and local law.

Q: Does the installation of a barrel over 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS) remove the firearm from the purview of the NFA? If so, is this considered a permanent change?

Installation of a barrel greater than 16 inches in length (SBR) or 18 inches in length (SBS) will remove the firearm from the purview of the NFA provided the registrant does not maintain control over the parts necessary to reconfigure the firearm as a SBR or SBS.

Q: May the short barrel on an SBR or SBS be replaced with a long barrel for hunting or other purposes, with the intent of replacing the short barrel?

Yes, and you will not be required to again register the firearm before replacing the short barrel. ATF recommends written notification to the NFA Branch when a firearm’s configuration is permanently changed or removed from the purview of the NFA.
Here is a link to the site, there is more you should probably read up on.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/nati...#receiver-sale

As for your question about the length, I believe you are going to find that the end result must be that the rifle is the length you say it will be. I think you better know what you are doing and what it will come out to be.

Last edited by lcpiper; October 9, 2013 at 01:10 PM.

Page generated in 0.03773 seconds with 8 queries