View Single Post
Old July 1, 2013, 11:40 AM   #1
bamaranger

dusted off the old 77V

About 1980 or so, Remington stopped making 5mm rimfire ammo and I needed a new groundhog rifle.

I walked into a shop I frequented and there was a heavy barrel varmint rifle, absolutely gorgeous. A classic, simple stock of walnut. Deep blue on the tapered heavy barrel, I was stricken.
I plunked down $275 of seasonal pay for the Ruger 77V, in 22-250, the old model with tang safety, red pad, and semi adjustable trigger. The rifle came with a target and a suggested load that was really impressive. I had to save a bit more to get dies and a scope, but eventually found a used Weaver K12 ($35) and got the rifle up and running.

Oh man, what an eye opener. I shot tight groups and groundhogs further than I thought possible, way beyond the range of my little 5mm mag that had been my groundhog rifle before. I new little about precision reloading, but it didn't seem to matter. Size and seat a new primer, weigh the noted charge of 4064, and plug a 52 Sierra match HP (no clue as to ideal seating depth) and shoot, further than ever.

Life went on, got married and we relocated, no groundhogs to speak of in the new locale, and I retired the varminter. It was just to good a shooter to sell, but it languished in the safe. I pulled the old Weaver off for my first F-T/R build (again, couldn't afford a good scope right away) and when I eventually remounted it on the Ruger, did not even re-zero.

I dusted the Ruger off when a neigbor complained about crows raiding his fields. I unearthed a partial box of my old reloads and re-zeroed a tad over an inch high at 100.

This morning, a crow settled in a distant tree and I settled into a rest against an old hay wagon and lined up about an inch over its back and squeezed off a shot. I lost it in recoil, but as I re bolted I saw a crow sail in and land on the ground at the bottom of the tree. Lined up again, same hold, and shot. Saw that crow flop. Well, the old rifle scores again! At least I got one, even if it took two tries, thinks I.

After a bit I went over and was tickled to find two very dead crows about 6 feet apart. I'd lasered some distances there earlier, and believe the shots were at 275. Plenty pleased.

So, lets start an old 77V thread. Did/do you have one, how'd it shoot? What glass did you put on it. Gosh, ain't they pretty. If I could find one not shot out in .308.......I might part with some hard earned bucks again.

Page generated in 0.02203 seconds with 8 queries