View Single Post
Old January 31, 2013, 04:08 PM   #6
snuffy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babbitt_%28metal%29
From the above wiki;
"There are many Babbitt alloys in addition to Babbitt's original. Some common compositions are:

90% tin, 10% copper
89% tin, 7% antimony, 4% copper
80% lead, 15% antimony, 5% tin
76% copper, 24% lead
75% lead, 10% tin
67% copper, 28% tin, 5% lead"

LE-28, I don't know where you got the info that babbitt contains arsenic. Yes, arsenic is poisonous, but so is lead. Shotgun shot and many other lead alloys also have arsenic in them. Normal precautions for casting lead will keep you safe. Many casters have used arsenic bearing lead alloys for years with little/no problems.

MJES92, that metal is probably some sort of balance weights, I doubt it's babbit. Babbitt is highly sought after for adding to lead as a hardening agent. But care must be taken to avoid the copper bearing babbitt, too much copper is bad for bullet casting.

From the looks of the recovered bullets, it's quite hard. If you air cooled them, meaning dropped on something, then allowed to cool, then they should be as soft as the could be. Age/time will allow then to gain hardness as well. What do they weigh?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?

Page generated in 0.02218 seconds with 8 queries