Thread: olympics
View Single Post
Old February 11, 2014, 08:58 AM   #10
KyJim

Quote:
One of the US competitors was explaining, on a recent podcast, about the laser guns and targets, being used in some countries, instead of .22s. Must have something to do either with firearm restrictions, or lack of shooting ranges. Anyone know about this?
I don't know anything specific about using laser guns and targets. I do know that the UK's shooting laws make it difficult for their competitive shooters. Here's part of an entry I found from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Following the awarding of the 2012 Olympic Games to London, the government announced that special dispensation would be granted to allow the various shooting events to be held, as had been the case previously for the 2002 Commonwealth Games. Further dispensations allowed foreign participants in shooting events to train in the UK, even though it remained illegal for native pistol shooters to train in England, Scotland or Wales.

Controversially, shooting events for the Games were held at a temporary facilities at the Royal Artillery Barracks in Woolwich, with the cost of £42 million including their subsequent demolition. Shooting sports bodies and some politicians argued that the money would have been better spent on the lasting legacy that would be gain by refurbishing and upgrading permanent facilities at the National Shooting Centre at Bisley, which would have cost a maximum of £30 million.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_pol...United_Kingdom

Talk about gun paranoia!

Page generated in 0.03165 seconds with 8 queries