Thread: ugly kill
View Single Post
Old October 16, 2012, 04:52 PM   #19
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man
I'm with the OP on this one and agree that an ugly kill is painful for the hunter and the hunted. I would think there would be something wrong with him if he didn't feel that way.
I've said many times that we need to do our best to make a clean, quick kill. I've also mentioned several times about being bothered by shots gone wrong. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about being bothered by it YEARS later or "looking in those big doe eyes", as if there's emotion and understanding there, like you're about to pull the plug on your mother.

I've rescued many a kitten in my time (have two now) and cried when a family dog dies but that's OUR emotion, not theirs. I could tell you stories about family dogs that would make you cry and you don't know me or my dogs, but that's not what we're talking about here.

These animals we're killing aren't aware of their lives in the way we are, they don't mourn for each other, they aren't afraid to die in the sense of looking forward to life like we are.

How many times have we seen a group of deer in a field and one gets shots, drops where it stands and after a few seconds of looking around, the rest go right back to eating like the other never existed? Ever seen a deer walk right by another one that's dead like it wasn't even there? Ever watched a doe when her fawn gets shot or a fawn when the doe gets shot? I've watched both the doe and fawn walk away from the other as if they never existed.

I don't have a "cold streak". I'm probably one of the more outwardly emotional guys you could meet, but there are limits. Mourning over a kill gone wrong years later is over the limit. If we have to mourn like that, we shouldn't be killing in the first place. "We" as humans, not as individuals. If an animal is worth mourning to that extent, it shouldn't be killed.

Page generated in 0.03524 seconds with 8 queries