View Single Post
Old December 20, 2000, 07:41 PM   #7
Steve Smith

I don't think .001" will kill you, either way. As I said, I am crimping to .471" with very good results. That's with a .452" bullet, mind you. You may have .451" bullets. Measure to be sure. .473" is max per SAAMI specs. The bullet dia. will affect the crimp measurement. If the mouth of the case looks "bevelled in" toward the bullet, there's too much crimp. Take a look at a factory round, and you'll see that the case mouth is straight, and you can't see a "crimp." That's what you want. I've heard some folks say that taper crimping is what you do to remove the bell or flare. That gives you an idea of what the crimp does...it DOESN'T hold the bullet in (the case does that) it jsut takes the bell out. True, if you don't have it crimped tight enough, you could probably push the bullet in by leaning on it, but that's that a really scientific test. Once you get your crimp around .471"-.473" then take your fiing pin out and put one in the magazine and cycle it. If you can cycle the same one two or three times with out changing the OAL very much, then you're fine. (Mine don't move at all)

Page generated in 0.03768 seconds with 8 queries