Thread: Ruger SR556
View Single Post
Old October 11, 2013, 04:24 PM   #21
Theohazard

OK, I'll bite:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFlores
So they resist corrosion even though nobody is using corrosive ammo? HAHA..too funny.
Ummm, there are other kinds of corrosion that can affect a barrel. Do you honestly believe that the only way to corrode a barrel is by shooting corrosive ammo through it?
Quote:
but refrain from claiming they're superior to full steel barrels because that's simply not the case.
I never said they're superior; just like a DI gas system they have pluses and minuses.
Quote:
If they were better, they'd be on the line at Camp Perry every year.
There are other uses for rifles than just competition. Sure, if I'm at Camp Perry I want a stainless match barrel. But if I'm in adverse environments running a rifle hard, I want chrome lining. Yet again, it's not about which is superior, it's about what you're using it for. I love my stainless barrel AR, but I'm also not in the military anymore.

Quote:
By the way...can someone tell me one advantage that a gas system has over a piston?
Advantages of a DI gas system is lighter weight, fewer parts, much greater parts interchangeability, no carrier tilt, higher accuracy potential, quieter when suppressed, and slightly less muzzle climb under rapid or full-auto fire.

Disadvantages are that a DI runs hotter and dirtier; if I'm doing hours of rapid or full-auto fire with no chance to clean, then I might want a good piston setup.

Again - just like chrome lining- it's not a question about which is superior, it's a question about what you need it for.

Last edited by Theohazard; October 11, 2013 at 05:41 PM.

Page generated in 0.02561 seconds with 8 queries