View Single Post
Old December 18, 2012, 04:16 PM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

That's not really the proper way of looking at it, because the thing about these Springfields is, you just never know when that one shot is going to be THE shot.

Some of these rifles have been used for years and have been just fine.

Until THE shot.

And, in a lot of cases, it's never totally clear exactly why that particular round caused a receiver failure at that particular time.

That's the point I was trying to make with my analogy. You never can be certain which shot is going to be THE shot.

You may make it through all 100 rounds, and can go on to the next 100.

Or, you might find the particular cartridge that causes the gun to disintegrate.

With low number Springfields, you simply do not and cannot know. Is it worth taking the chance? That's a question that only you can answer.

But, as Dirty Harry so famously said... Are you feeling lucky?

In my view, it makes no sense to take that kind of chance. If you've ever seen the after effects of a receiver failure, you'll know it's not something to be trifled with.

I've only seen pictures of a Springfield receiver failure, but I have seen first hand other receiver failures that have caused injuries, and letting the 60,000 psi genie out of the bottle isn't something that I have any desire to do.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Page generated in 0.03807 seconds with 8 queries