View Single Post
Old May 14, 2012, 05:11 PM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

Ok a couple of things to try that have helped me with a couple of what I though to be bad molds.

First wash it with boiling hot water. Even better if you soak it down with Simple Green first. (Even if you have done this already. Do it again it is little work, and it tends to work.)

Second thing dry it off, and now if you have a gas stove turn it on to medium low heat. put the mold so that the handles will not catch on fire over the flame. With the mold closed. Leave it there for at least 20 minutes. If the stove is electric then set the mold directly on the element for at least 20 minutes, just put the burner on high.

Now carefuly take the mold off of the stove. Have a cotton swab, or pipe cleaner handy, wet it with your choice of either synthetic motor oil, or vegetable oil. (Lard works in a pinch.) Use the oiled swab to go over the pins, and wedges. Do the recesses as well. (Note it should smoke like crazy) Now close the mold tight. Let it cool for about 5 minutes. Now carefuly smoke the mold with either a match, or my preference of smoke from a candle. Reswab the pins, and recesses again after smoking.

Now go start casting. Keep the swab nearby. Relube about every 20 cast or so.

Note over 750 degrees is just a waste.

Page generated in 0.03260 seconds with 8 queries