View Single Post
Old October 8, 2008, 10:27 AM   #10
pax

Playing the Devil's Advocate...

There's a comment at this link worth reading: http://www.saysuncle.com/archives/20...comment-208188 (It's from Kit, a female LEO in a western state).

Summary money quote for those who won't follow the link:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit on the Say Uncle blog
You do not have to have probable cause for a traffic stop - only “reasonable suspicion.” A van which (based on the description) does not merely have bumper stickers, but instead has placards on the side, and which was seen parked near the Pensacola ATF building on the anniversary of Waco, and was also possibly the same van which stopped at the house of the former gun dealer who sold guns to Koresh - well, that’s enough for *me* to do a stop and talk.

Details are important, folks. The original posts I saw about this incident said that ATF had a car stopped solely because of the bumper stickers. That would be a serious problem. But taken in totality with the anniversary of waco, it being a van, large signage instead of simply bumper stickers, the koresh gun dealer connection, and it having been parked at an ATF building? Those are significantly important details.
She goes on to point out that there are other, potentially significant questions which have not been answered -- namely, whether the details above were the actual facts or merely made up by someone at the ATF (which would make a huge difference). And the most important question would relate to the allegation that ATF and/or police then demanded the placards be removed, which would definitely constitute a violation of civil rights.

Food for thought.

pax

Page generated in 0.02274 seconds with 8 queries