View Single Post
Old February 8, 2006, 09:53 PM   #16
sdj

The folks on TFL are like a living library; now if I can just find the librarian…

“Dwight55” notes “shooting thumb releases MT mag,”. I cannot get my shooting thumb over to the magazine release with fewer than two movements: my support hand shifts to the frame and my primary hand shifts quite a bit in order for me to get my thumb on the release. In fact, it was all this motion that occasioned my questioning my magazine release method and what lead me to post my question. It seemed like too much motion to use my primary-hand thumb. It seemed more natural to me to do what “1inthechamber” recommends:

“Press the release button with your left thumb and let the empty magazine fall to the ground…”

“American4guns” seems to be in agreement: “One other thing,i generally use my thumb to release the mag,this way i can already be going for another mag while the spent mag is releasing.”

A very small and light motion from the support and the empty magazine drops off like stage-one of a Saturn V launch.

At this point, the primary hand has not budged; firearm is still on target, if needed. Support hand grabs a fresh magazine, and as “OBIWAN” recommends, I am to “use the index finger on [my] weak hand to insure the bullets are pointed the right way…” ( What about the blast shield? Do I keep that up or down? )

The combat re-load described by “Capitain-Charlie” strikes me as pinnacle of smart, fast shooting. Yet, I know that I’ll never be able to keep an accurate count of my rounds. I have magazines of various capacities, for one. Moreover, I have taken an interest in IDPA. I understand that at most stages of IDPA, the shooter is required to fire until the slide locks back before reloading. So, no combat reload, there.

I’ll be working on these techniques as often as possible.

Thanks, all.

-sdj

Page generated in 0.03666 seconds with 8 queries