View Single Post
Old September 27, 2012, 07:05 PM   #21
SerenityNetworks

I've never hunted with a scope. Then at 56 (my age) my dad gave me a still-in-box 1982 Browning BBR. I've put a 3-9x50 Nikon on it, practiced at the range, and am anxious to go hunting with it this fall.

I hope it lives up to my expectations.

But kind of to your point, I'm teaching a 9 year old boy to shoot. The first time out we were with a friend and his boys. We had a selection of .22s and he fired them all. He loved the scoped rifles. Then we were at the range this last weekend and I was more serious about technique, since he had a good solid start on safety. From bags he shot both a scoped .22 and a non-scoped .22. But he greatly preferred the scoped rifle. Then the last thing before we left I spent some time getting a sling adjusted for him on the non-scoped rifle.

Sitting with the sling and using iron sights he shot a significantly better group at 25 yards than he did with the scoped rifle on bags. Then we left :-) Last night his mom told me he had commented that the scopes were cool, but maybe he didn't need them :-)

NRA Life Member
------------------------
"There are some ideas so preposterous that only an intellectual will believe them." - Malcolm Muggeridge

Page generated in 0.02518 seconds with 8 queries