View Single Post
Old July 24, 2012, 04:51 PM   #3
Madcap_Magician

*Posted the following*

I think there are very few public policy issues that actually need to be framed as a question of theology for Christians.

Gun control would be one of the last.

However, only a tiny percentage of gun owners ever use a gun to commit a crime, and for many of those gun-using criminals, it was already against the law for them to possess a firearm. Pushing regulation against a THING as opposed to an ACTION (taken by a human) seems to go against core Christian beliefs in personal responsibility and salvation - people sin, but objects are incapable of acting on their own, much less sinning.

I don’t think it’s possible to make a logical jump from the fact that some people use guns to commit murder to the conclusion that allowing people to have guns is a sin, any more than it’s possible to conclude that because some people overeat fast food to the point of gluttony justifies banning or restricting all fast food for everyone.

I think that freedom of choice is the central tenet of Christian philosophy. Ultimately, everyone has a choice to either accept God or deny Him. To follow or to rebel. God wants willing servants and children, not slaves. This, I think, is the only explanation for why evil is allowed to exist: because God values the freedom of humans to choose more highly than He would value a peaceful world full of drones.

Last edited by Tom Servo; July 24, 2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Removed abortion-related content

Page generated in 0.03712 seconds with 8 queries