View Single Post
Old June 2, 2012, 09:05 AM   #4
Willie Sutton

The Walker conversion cylinders *without the gate* are long enough to be reamed to accept .460 &W brass, and if you do this you can load those with BP to "Walker Capacity" which is nominally 60 grains... but better with 50 for wedge-life.

If you load anything even close to factory Casull loads (or heavens forbid factory .460 loads) you WILL blow the thing up... first shot. This game is for getting full-charge Black Powder loads into the Walker.

Bear in mind that the .45-70 rifle cartridge means .45 caliber and 70 grains of BP. By that measure a Walker using longer brass cases loaded to the equal of the Walker's cap and ball powder load capacity is a .45-60

I "think" that the swing-gate conversions will end up with a cylinder that is too short to be reamed to accept full length .460 brass loads... but that can be cured by trimming the cases. In which case you likely are just making the equal of Casull brass out of .460 brass.

The conversions above are VERY nice. I've not yet had the guts to take a grinder to my Walker... but perhaps I shall. Excellent job!

Willie

Page generated in 0.02093 seconds with 8 queries