View Single Post
Old September 6, 2009, 11:40 AM   #150
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrentxs
The mag safety is protection for knuckleheads ... It's function is easily explained to any jury.
How do you know? What do you really know about explaining things to juries? It doesn't appear from your profile that you have any training, experience or expertise in this area.

As has already been discussed at length in this thread (1) a jury in a shooting case in which the defendant claims self defense is almost certainly not going to include anyone with any knowledge of or interest in guns; (2) making technical arguments to a jury with no interest in or experience with the subject matter is difficult; and (3) if you're on trial you have a bunch of potential problems, so an issue like a magazine disconnect muddies the waters and makes it more difficult for your lawyer to adequately deal with those other matters.

Why do you want to make it harder for your lawyer than it already will be to save your skin?

For some discussion by Massad Ayoob about selling this sort of thing to a jury see --

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost....9&postcount=21

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost....8&postcount=29

Quote:
...To that end improving the trigger pull via mag safety disconnect is the best ways to improve the trigger on a BHP. I'm sure competent gunsmiths would agree and testify to this....
Well, Bill Laughridge at Cylinder & Slide is pretty well known as a competant gunsmith, and he offers a variety of tactical tune up packages for the BHP that retain the magazine disconnect.

Quote:
...I deem the legal issues raised as extremely unlikley to be encountered and easily discounted in court....
As to not likely to come up, well it's extremely unlikely that you will ever need to use your gun in self defense. And if you do, there's a good chance that it won't get to court, if you're lucky. But if you find yourself on trial, it will most likely come up.

As to "easily discounted in court", how would you know? It doesn't appear from your profile that you have any training, experience or expertise in this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danez71
...I feel that giving them the topic to argue against me is a bad idea at best and has potentially a horrible downside....
And that's the point.

Last edited by Frank Ettin; September 6, 2009 at 01:48 PM.

Page generated in 0.03235 seconds with 8 queries