Thread: Lee or RCBS?
View Single Post
Old January 5, 2013, 07:07 AM   #58
Bart B.

Those championing the phrase "No is no comparison RCBS is far superior, it's like comparing a Cadillac to a Chevy" should compare the side play in an RCBS Rockchucker made back in 1980 to one made these days. Both my early 1980's Rockchuckers have about .003" of side play at the shell holder with their ram's all the way to the top. I've checked half a dozen or more of the in-store new ones in the last couple of years and they all have ten times that much play so measured.

But virtually all the new presses these days have the same, huge amount of slop. I've not seen any that are as tight as my old RC's that have "worn out" several barrels. The high-dollar Hornady, Lyman and RCBS are decent, but I'd check one out when new before keeping it. Return it if you feel any side play in the ram at the top of its stroke. If there's play, it'll get worse. If there's no play, it'll probably last a long time if the metal's decent.

Note also that different folks have different standards of quality and expectations to be met. A few dozen folks checking out a given press will typically have a wide range of opinions on its performance based on an even wider range of expectations.

Last edited by Bart B.; January 5, 2013 at 07:13 AM.

Page generated in 0.03347 seconds with 8 queries