View Single Post
Old August 28, 2011, 05:12 AM   #41
Bill Akins

Member [email protected]'s thread entitled "What Competition Ruger's (Old Army) look like" at this thread.....
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461087

.....had this picture in it.....

So using that picture and my idea for a semi-auto muzzleloading revolver, I did a little work in photoshop to help visualize my idea.

Spring loaded, frame mounted, inertial firing pin rod, (pictured in white) won't reach percussion cap unless firing pin rod is firmly struck by long drop of hammer. Which means revolver may be somewhat safer with six chambers loaded. (Could it discharge cap if dropped muzzle down on concrete? Unknown at this time.) Upon the cylinder recoiling, Webley Fosbery style zig zag cylinder's slots ride on modified cylinder bolt lug on inside bottom of frame which turns cylinder halfway to next chamber.

Recoiling cylinder also pushes back on inertial firing pin rod which pushes against hammer and cocks it (using inertia like a short stroke M1 carbine piston), hammer stays cocked to the rear while trigger is still depressed. (Hammer to trigger lockwork would be modified to allow hammer to cock and hold while trigger is still depressed, then upon trigger release, the trigger would reset to be ready to be functioned again to drop hammer for next shot.)

As recoil spring decompresses and pushes cylinder firmly back toward barrel breech, zig zag cylinder slots riding on lug turn cylinder the final half way to the next chamber. Hammer has semi-automatically cocked for next shot, shooter releases trigger which then resets and then shooter functions trigger again to fire next shot. Nipple holes might possibly be enlarged too so cap could blow off nipple against firing pin rod to add to and aid force of cylinder recoil forcing the firing pin rod rearward for cocking the hammer. (Not sure if that would be necessary or not though.) No doubt the powder charge would have to be experimented with to get just the right load for it all to work.

Never been done before. A blowback cylinder semi-auto muzzleloading revolver.

Why?....Why not?

SASS competition approved of course.... Well, maybe as a side match under "Steampunk muzzleloading" category....preceding the semi-auto 1911's in the "Wild Bunch" category. It could happen .

It's all an academic design idea at this point, but can y'all visualize it better now?

Captain Nemo's character would like it or a civil war version of Hellboy's character would too. (Only Hellboy's version would have to be scaled up to .68 caliber and fire explosive balls )

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; August 28, 2011 at 04:52 PM.

Page generated in 0.03071 seconds with 8 queries