View Single Post
Old June 7, 2013, 02:54 PM   #1
BobNailer

Ruger Mini-30 580 series vs. AK-47

I use to own a Bushmaster XM-15 E2S in 5.56mm but got rid of it a year ago or so. Last Fall I purchased a new Ruger Mini-30 with synthetic stock and cold hammer forged barrel direct from Ruger. And if I'm to brag, after talking to Ruger's regional sales manager, he had one made specifically for me for a new gun store "show" he was to attend. Needless to say I was tickled to get it.
I had thought long and hard about whether to get an AK or a Mini-30. I did a LOT of research online about both firearms and read a lot of horror stories about the "old" Ruger Mini-14 and 30, mostly regarding "stringing" from hot barrels, cheap sights, lack of accuracy, poor craftsmanship. Then I read about AK's and heard even worse horror stories about the complete lack of craftsmanship though everyone, almost to a person, said AKs were relentless reliable though not very accurate.
But when I read about the "new" Ruger 580 series Mini-30, I got stoked about all the improvements they made to it, the barrel, the quality, the craftsmanship, the new CNC machining they use, and of course the cold hammer forged barrel.
But as I read more from folks who had bought the 580 series, the reviews were mixed and I was disheartened. But I also realize opinions on the internet come from ALL kinds of people, some expert, some not so "expert".

So with all that said, I replaced the factory peep sight on my Mini-30 with a tech-sights M1 Garand style peep sight, installed it myself. I wanted to go Low-tech and not get a scope or red-dot even though the Mini-30 has scope mounts milled into the receiver. I have a .042 peep sight on it and using Hornady 7.62x39 123gr SST ammo, I was able to place three rounds into a quarter size (that's .25 cent coin) group at 100 yards.

I am not an expert rifleman by any means, I'm self taught.

Good ammo, good sights, breathing discipline, smooth slow trigger pull, good/proper hold on rifle, a good rifle, and I got this grouping. I can't tell you how thrilled I was to be able to do this, over and over again.

The Mini-30 comes with an adjustable rear sight I'd suggest anyone replace with a tech-sight which is adjustable for windage and elevation. The Mini-30 front sight is non-adjustable but is protected by a brush guard, just like the tech-sight I installed.

I've heard a lot of whining on the 'net about Ruger Mini's in either .223 or 7.62 adn about how robust the AK-47 is and yet the Mini-30 is in the exact same caliber at the AK, the magazine insert/release is exactly like the AK, its gas piston just like the AK, full reciprocating bold like the AK... but way more accurate and is based on the M1 Garand bolt with the same legendary reliability. I didn't post this to create a cat-fight about AKs, I posted this to let people know the Ruger Mini-30, or any quality rifle for that matter, is only as accurate and reliable as the person who owns and maintains it. I don't plan on stuffing my Mini-30 with mud, sand, water, then run over it with my 4x4 then drop it from a helo at 200 feet and EXPECT it to function flawlessly... but if that's how you treat your firearms, then you need remedial education in the proper handling of firearms.

Anything man-made WILL break if you try hard enough and anything man-made WILL, at some point, break or stop working.

Page generated in 0.02644 seconds with 8 queries