View Single Post
Old January 29, 2013, 02:29 PM   #18
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
can I expect the same fantastic reliability with an entry level Colt, Springfield, or Ruger 1911 that I have gotten with my HK?
As someone who has Government, Commander, Officer's models from Colt and Wilson Combat chambered in .45 auto and 10mm auto (Colt Delta Elite) and uses 1911s as my EDC, yes they can be very reliable.

It may, stress may, involve a process; it may run 100% straight out of the box.

Being that the original design was a 5" barrel chambered for ball .45 ammo and now gazillion folks make 1911s and magazines and springs in many different chamberings and barrel lengths and frame sizes with different bushings/bushingless bull barrels with different throats, magazine feel lips, and a variety of approaches to recoil springs and guide rods... one can see that the possibility of "tolerance stacking", pushing design and material limits, non-uniformity of approaches can lead to some not working as well as others.

The good news is that there are some that run well, very well, well enough to "bet your life on". And if there is a problem, there is always the manufacturer, and a number of quality smiths out there.

As with any gun considered as a defensive weapon, run it, tune it if necessary, prove that it does what you want it to do before relying on it.

It is hard to beat the trigger on a good 1911. Makes me grin.

They work for me.

Now, go figure...

Page generated in 0.02441 seconds with 8 queries