View Single Post
Old February 17, 2012, 10:18 AM   #11
Hardcase

Mine just arrived from SOG yesterday. No pics yet, but the metal was in excellent condition, with just a bit of surface rust at the last 1/4" of the barrel. It just brushed off, so it may have actually been some "rust dust" that just stuck there.

The stock...well, clearly it has had some use. It's not terrible, but the varnish has some white, scaly spots on the sides of the butt and it was really dry. Also, on the left side, right in the middle of the finger grooves, was a burnt spot. Not like it got hot...it was actually charred! Nonetheless, I'm quite satisfied. I didn't expect that it would be a perfect collector's item. It's what I figured it would be: an arsenal reworked rifle that's been around the block a time or two since 1954.

FWIW, the only mark on the stock (aside from the burn) is what appears to be a number "1". Also, the bolt doesn't match the rest of the numbers - again, not a surprise. I'm sure that there was a big bucket o'bolts in the arsenal.

As far as whether one would be advised to pick up one of these rifles, my thinking was that this is the first time that I've seen them in quantity and, who knows, it might be the last. For one and a half bills, it seemed like a cheap way to fill in an empty spot in my collection. And, like I said before, I'm satisfied.

Tomorrow, despite the potential for rain and snow, I'll be off to the range to see what happens.

Page generated in 0.02258 seconds with 8 queries