View Single Post
Old November 19, 2008, 03:17 PM   #19
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
peetzakilla: Why do you think that the extra 100 feet would have prevented this from happenning?
Like I said, there is an EXTREME probability that ONE more foot would have made this EXACT event not happen. The odds of a bullet hitting an unknown target at 400+ feet is ridiculously remote. Any change in this situation would have likely prevented the same outcome.

Quote:
peetzakilla, you assume he 1) knew the trailer was there and 2) has a better than average ability to judge distances. (if he could even see the trailer)

Actually, I'm assuming he DID NOT know the trailer was there. If he did know and fired in that direction then he should be looking at 2nd degree murder or something similar. If he knew the trailer was there he wouldn't need to judge distances. Knowledge would have precluded a shot in that direction.
I'm also saying he had an ABSOLUTE RESPONSIBILITY TO KNOW the trailer was there. I assume he didn't and that makes it negligence instead of murder. I will not hunt an area with which I am not intimately familiar. I look at Google maps and Yahoo and Microsoft Live maps to see where houses and other things are located. I drive around the nearby roads to make sure I know where things are. I print out maps and draw 500 foot circle to show myself where I can hunt. It's a very basic level of responsibility.
No, you cannot, unless you are God, guarantee with absolute certainty where a bullet will end up once you pull the trigger. What you can do is make the possibility of serious problems vanishingly small by taking basic precautions.

Page generated in 0.03319 seconds with 8 queries