View Single Post
Old January 26, 2013, 10:16 AM   #1
eowiggy

Opinions top-end die sets over standard sets.

I have bben reloading for just a few months, and have gotten alot of good information off this site. I finally registered so I could ask some questions of my own.

I wanted to get some advice from more experienced reloaders concerning the huge array of die sets available. As I'm shopping around, I notice that every manufacturer has their standard die set along with a much more expensive "Competition/Match/Gold/etc...." set. All of these companies go into detail about the quality and precision that goes into their standard die sets. They then one up themselves with bushing dies, and micrometer seating dies and such.

I am looking for a die set that will allow me to make accurate rounds, but I have no intentions of shooting competition or making 1000yd shots. I do however want to have the confidence in my ammo to take a 300-400yd shot on a deer.

I am reloading on a Forster press and am leaning towards Forster or Redding 3 die sets. Forster's set is $156, with their high end an extra $100. Redding's standard set is $110 with their Type S Match Bushing set going for $267 + $36 per bushing.

Is there enough of a difference in accuracy gained from the high end sets to warrant the extra cost when it comes to the hunting/recreational/range shooting that I do. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Page generated in 0.03072 seconds with 8 queries