View Single Post
Old December 19, 2011, 12:25 AM   #8
alan

If I may begin with a couple of technical points concerning suppressors (silencers).

1. Sub-sonic ammunition is needed. If projectile speed is super-sonic, you get a "sonic boom" just like you do from jet airplanes.

2. Additionally, a "special" type of firearm is needed, silencers won't work with revolvers, remember the cylinder to barrel gap? What is needed is either a locked breech type handgun or a rifle type, closed breach action.

On to the FDR administration , his AG was one Homer Cummings, who was a great fan of "gun control", pushing the idea of national registration of firearms, handguns especially. From what I've read, one comment attributed to the gentleman ran more or less as follows, and by the way, it might ring familiar. "If a man has nothing to hide, why would he object to registration". I think Cummings would have opted for a ban on handguns altogether, but that might be speculation.

By the way, Roosevelt's "crime problem" mentioned in a recently published book entitled Gun Fight derived largely from the mess caused by Wall Street and the national idiocy that was Prohibition.

Regarding the role played by the NRA, of which I've been Life Member since 1973, that organization might be strongly pro gun rights these days, but that was most definately not always the case. Check it's poasition in the 1920's and 1930's and more recently than that too.

In 1967, when I stilllived in NYC, there was proposed and enacted a city ordinance requiring the registration of long guns and their owners, when such arms were kept within city limits, for instance in the residents home. I personally testified in opposition, and shortly thereafter removed myself from the jurisdiction of this idiocy. Woodson Scott, and NRA official, in what I considered mealy mouthed testimony, went on about how we, gun owners had to be gentlemanly about such matters. In a brief conversation I had with Mr. Scott later that day, I pointed out that being “gentlemanly” was, when dealing with rattlesnakes, ridiculous, and was likely to get one killed. One either killed the rattlers, or one stayed the hell away from them. I also noted re rattlesnakes, that these creatures were “gentlemanly”, in that they usually made a racket before striking, which was more than could be said for the lying anti gunners.

Please pardon my digression. I thought that some of the foregoing might be of passing interest to some readers.

Last edited by alan; December 19, 2011 at 12:54 AM.

Page generated in 0.02646 seconds with 8 queries