Thread: Major re-think?
View Single Post
Old January 28, 1999, 02:13 PM   #23
MarkCO

I think there are 3 major reasons the founders went with the way they calcualte pf and the levels.

1. They did not like hi-cap 9mms. Plain and simple. A real man shot a 1911 in .45.

2. They wanted to keep the calculation simple. Some of the folks who posted on this thread understand dynamics, other obviously do not. Energy, Power, Work are all dynamic terms related to each other. Momentum is a simplistic formula that gives us PROPER numbers in some cases. In the real world, momentum is near impossible to find. Dynamic, real physical systems are highly complex with mutiple degrees of freedom, as many as 6. Momentum CAN NOT account for these. Momentum is a starting point in many rigorous engineering problems, but it soon falls by the way side and more powerfull calculations are used.

3. A measure of safety to keep hot-rodders from blowing their guns.

If those were not the reasons, they are now.

Now, the rules are made and maybe we should live by them. But, the rules are in contradiction, they say Power but calculate Momentum. WRONG, minus at least 50% on any test I have ever taken, not just for the wrong number, but for the wrong comprehension and undersdtanding!

I agree that the PF calculation should be altered to reflect true dynamic properties. How this is accomplished is another question.

Who said that the .40 S&W is not proven as a reliable stopper? No disrepect meant, but look at some numbers, have you been in secluson for the past 10 years. Most PDs have or are switching to it and several rounds exceed the best .45 load!

As for ease of calculation, I have shot many mathces and have never had a load chrono'd except at a mjor match where everyone did. The guys keeping score were using calculators and so, really, how hard is it to push 1 more button? How many of you can really calculate (1237*135=pf) in your head? Good thread Scandinavian. Good Shooting, MarkCO

Page generated in 0.02958 seconds with 8 queries