View Single Post
Old September 27, 2007, 09:52 PM   #4
ebutler462

I have been low rated and meanmouthed due to the fact that I keep my Nova 20 gauge loaded with #6 bird shot in case of HD. I have investigated hundreds of incidents of home invasions, shootings during breakins, shootings because a drug deal went bad, etc. The vast majority were shot with small shot and I never had one to walk away from the scene. If the bad guy is within 30 feet, the results are usually fatal. Over that length and it puts a bad hurting on him requiring much painful medical repairs..

We have a lot of gung ho HD commandos that want to go all the way with unnecessarily heavy loads. They are not necessary in spite of the gelatin tests and all the water jug tests. Experience with patrolling one of the largest counties in the state and getting these type calls frequently, I am a believer in small shot because that is all most people have in their trusty shotguns. Bad guys are stopped and their evil intentions are altered but quick with #6 or larger shot within household distances.

I have been to many autopsies and observed the hamburger effect that the hundreds of small shot do to the human body. I have never known a perp to survive a 10 yard shot if hit in the vitals. If hit elsewhere, a 50 cal machine projectile won't stop him.

Our patrol cars had guns loaded with buckshot of various sizes but in over 30 years of carrying one I never had the occasion to use it in the line of duty. It was an insurance requirement. IMO, they were overloaded and would do a lot of collateral damage if they ever had to be used. We carried Mini-14s for serious taking down of perps. Only one projectile to control. With a shotgun, you fill the area with uncontrollable projectiles that go where they want to and they are not used for that reason, except for rare and unusual occasions of which I have never been a part of.

I have a Nova 20 gauge loaded with #6 promo loads from Walmart that gives me plenty of confidence. Some people say they want to load with what the police use. Wrong phraseology. Police carry shotguns loaded with various buckshot loads. They do not use them. At least in my part of the world, they were a PR deterent. The rifle and handgun was the tools of the trade in police work. The shotgun is a psychological deterent, looks bad, sounds bad, but it is the last weapon that a police officer wants to use.

Page generated in 0.03585 seconds with 8 queries