Thread: "Yippy dogs"
View Single Post
Old March 18, 2005, 09:06 PM   #40
AKhunter

What *I'd* do to get a dog: (keep in mind that I'm a dog person and kind of obsessive about it.)
1 I'd decide what I want from the dog.
2 pick the breed that closest approximates my needs
3 find the *best* breeder of that breed for my desired use
4 get to know the breeder and If I thought they could help me, make a deposit.
5 wait for my pup

A breeder you can go see is a definite plus, but as I live pretty remotely in Alaska right now, I'm outta luck as far as that goes. It's important to have trust in your breeder as if something goes wrong, you need to know that they will be there for you. For instance, I'm considering a newfoundland as my next dog, maybe 5 years away--The breeder I really like is in Oregon--If I can get a dog from them, I will, regardless of where I happen to be at the time. It's common for breeders to ship pups, it typically adds a couple of hundred bucks to the price of the dog for shipping and crate costs. Sorry to hear about that bs at the shelter--that attitude really pisses me off--the arrogance to assume that the dog would be better off dead than in a home that they 'wouldn't approve of.' It's the same bs that makes some animal shelters decide to put down all pits rather than try to find them homes. Freaking ridiculous. As far as Eugene goes, I used to consider myself pretty liberal, but I'm not so sure I qualify anymore--at least as far as most liberals would consider. I guess I'm just "pro-rights" on pretty much everything.

AK

Page generated in 0.03228 seconds with 8 queries