View Single Post
Old August 21, 2014, 08:14 PM   #33
TDL

Quote:
Umm... which "law abiding citizens" are you referring to? The last time I looked, domestic violence was illegal. All the current proposals (such as closing the "dating partner loophole" ) would apply to people with domestic violence convictions, so... not too "law-abiding," it seems. (As to restraining orders, the restriction of rights applies only while the order is active. Although restraining orders are sometimes abused, I don't think the incidence of such abuse is as high as it's sometimes made out to be. I know this is an unpopular position, but I put a high value on the lives of women, who are in something of a double bind with respect to domestic violence: they are at considerable risk of injury or death from an abusive partner, but they are frequently charged and convicted when they do defend themselves, even when there's a clear case that they acted in self-defense.)
Vanya if you follow the hearings and gun control tactics on this, this is all about restraining orders and not about convictions.

And restraining orders vary immensely across jurisdictions on probative burdens evidentiary rules and defendants' rights.

In many places a target of such an order has essentially no effective way to fight such an order since the orders are not seen as harmful. They are used in the gamesmanship of divorce as tactics in custody and family law proceedings

We can all agree those low burdens are good thing as long as they affect only interaction between the two parties - but since the gun control advocates' strategy is to use them to limit rights generally these extremely low burdens create a leverage that the gun controllers are now seeking to exploit.

There are studies showing up to eight out of ten restraining orders are filed to simply harass.

Given that restraining orders are, in many jurisdictions, given to virtually anyone who applies, removing second amendment rights will cause more abuse of restraining orders than ever before, because if your spouse has a firearm, we will be creating an incentive for the other spouse to file an order request simply to harass.

Page generated in 0.02682 seconds with 8 queries