View Single Post
Old August 8, 2012, 07:27 PM   #8
Jim Watson

I don't have a .45-70 but my .38-55 and .40-65 run 1200 fps without much trouble. I shoot at known ranges, trajectory is not a problem. The ranges over which a .45-90 has an advantage are pretty limited. So it adds 25 yards to your iron sight range. Might be nice hunting but not much help target shooting.

Brass availability is a non-issue. If you are going to shoot black, you are going to be handloading. .45-90 brass is readily available from Starline and various distributors like Buffalo Arms. I have not yet worn out a case, although I have bashed some against die mouths by inattentive handling at the press. There just is no place in my world for picking up a box of brass at the sporting goods store and whipping up some ammo. I plan ahead.

I use Swiss 1.5 Fg and a lot of people load FFg Goex. Kik is getting a good reputation, mostly in FFg.
You can load FFFg to gain velocity... I tried it but while velocity went up, accuracy went down; or you can load Fg to fill the case but give lower velocity and moderate the kick from the big boomers.

Page generated in 0.03402 seconds with 8 queries